My mother's mother (my grandmother) was not a good mom to her when she was my age (16) and during her adolescence, from what I know, she verbally abused and manipulated my mom. Now, it seems the cycle is continuing and my mother is treating me strangely similarly to how her mother treated her as a teenager (I know this not only from stories I've heard from relatives, but when relatives hear my complaints about her, they say that that is exactly what she used to complain about of her own mother).
More Background Info: my parents are divorced as of 2 years ago, and my mom is a breast cancer survivor. I have previously tried to move in with my dad, but she and my father's lawyers battled it out because she didn't want my brother and I to leave even though we want to go live with our dad. My mom and I fight and argue constantly. On almost a daily basis, she tells me things such as
"You'll never get anywhere in life. You are the meanest, cruelest, rudest person in the world, just as manipulative as your father."
She has even gone so far as to tell me I am partially to blame for her getting cancer, and if I dont stop causing so much stress in her life, it will return and it will be my fault.
She tells me I am to blame for her and my father's ongoing conflicts, and that our money problems are due to me not having a job and her having to hire lawyers when I was trying to move out.
She told me she will never forgive me for all the evil things I've done (when she was sick with cancer, she eavesdropped on a conversation I was having with my dad about being unhappy living with her, and then stuck a note under my door that said "you abandoned your own mother on her deathbed. I will carry that to my grave."
She tells me, sometimes threatens me, to move out of the house because she cannot stand to be around me, no one can, according to her. she constantly tells me to "quiet or shut my mouth" and sometimes when im talking to her she will ignore me, turn on the radio, or lock herself in a room.
obviously, she is very irrational and i believe she has some sort of clinical paranoia problem (she thinks everyone is out to get her and that while she had cancer people such as my aunt and myself were trying to kill her).
but does what she does to me count as verbal/emotional/mental abuse? please help. thanks.
Thank you all who have answered. I appreciate your help, and I'm glad to know I'm not just crazy. Thanks again!
New data collected from more than 1,000 breast cancer survivors finds that many experience significant social and emotional issues not adequately addressed by the current standard of care. The research indicates high levels of distress among breast cancer ...
Swimmers fight breast cancer Chicago Sun-Times They chose to fundraise as a way to not only raise money, but also create recognition and awareness for Bright Pink. “It's a great organization founded by a survivor that understands women and breast cancer awareness education and prevention,” said ... |